Course History

Prestonfield Golf Club is set in beautiful parkland within the heart of Scotland’s capital city, and is located a mere one and a half miles from the bustle of Princes Street.

Arthur Seat in 1870Prestonfield lies under the lee of the volcanic mass of Arthur’s Seat amidst spectacular scenery of historical significance. It is bound by Holyrood Park and the bird sanctuary of Duddingston Loch to the north, the Braid Burn and Peffermill Mansion House to the east and the grounds of Prestonfield House to the south. The club was established in 1920 as the Edinburgh Civil Service Golf Club and the course was extended in both 1928 and 1933 by acquisition of additional land.

James Braid, one of the most famous names in golf, created the present layout. The course is a testing par 70 of 6207 the character of which lies in the amount of long testing par 4s that can vary greatly depending on wind direction and strength. The undulating ground at the top end of the course adds another dimension in shot making, whilst the mature trees in the middle section of the course contrast dramatically with the more open aspects of the lower part of the course

Bird's eye view of Prestonfield Golf CourseAn extensive tree planting programme over the last ten years has improved the definition of many holes, and at the same time created more problems for those choosing to leave the fairway. Prestonfield’s reputation of being a challenging but fair course has made it a popular venue for a number of competitions over the years including the prestigious Lothian’s Match Play Championship on six occasions and home to the PGA Prestonfield Pro-am since 2007